Tuesday, June 2, 2009

School's Out for Summer

While we're not in school anymore, it's beginning to feel like real-life and school are still pretty related.

I'm realizing that everyone's travel plans increase during the summer. Our activities increase in anticipation of it, too. So, does this mean that we are all in a "school-mentality" for our whole life? I thought you were only in the school-mentality when you were, well, in school.

I partner with the school system for my job, so my work load gets a touch lighter when school isn't in session. I have plenty to do, but it's based on paperwork sorting and filing (not my favorite things). So, to compensate for the monotonous work, I'm planning for some different things this summer. Making the effort to volunteer, making travel plans, making new goals for the summer that include exploring this place I currently call home. All things that I really could have done during the school year if I wanted to make the time, but now that summer's here, it seems I have "nothing but time" (it's not actually true, hence the quotations). I feel like I'm understanding why vacations are typically taken during the summer. Everyone wants to get out of town. It's like summer brings out everyone's inner-child: June 1st hits and we're all chomping at the bit.

I know, this could very well be due to the fact that I'm a new graduate. Maybe I'm just in summer-mode because this is what I've known since I was 5-years-old. Either way, if you're excited and anticipating adventures for this summer, just know that you're not alone. And if being a grown-up means we're not allowed to think this way, then I guess adulthood will just have to wait.

{M}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
20sb