Sunday, April 26, 2009

But when?

My sister got married nearly 2 years ago now and as a result I find myself answering the question, "so, when are you getting married?" more and more often.  Let's talk "when", shall we?  Statistically, women are choosing to get married later and later as it becomes both more acceptable and expected for women to pursue careers.  Stay-at-home-moms are fewer and farther between and 30 is the new 20 when it comes to starting a family.

So, I've considered where I stand in this picture.  My gut feeling is I will be slow (and maybe late) to settle down.  I do want to be married someday, though kids are still a toss up in my mind at this point.  I LOVE kids but I could love being Aunt Becca to my darling sisters' kids someday (they don't have any yet) and be content.  I'm not closed off to the idea of having some youngsters of my own someday, just leaving my options open.

What I know for sure is that I have a mental list of that which I hope to accomplish before I tie the knot.  Buying my first home is the one I am tackling currently.  The search has more than begun, it's about 60% done I'd say.  I want to travel.  I want to explore my gifts and interests. I want to give of my time and talents to people, to charity, to making the world a better place.

If you're thinking I sound a little saintly, don't.  I just wish to live a life of my own and then I wish to rediscover the beauty in life all over again with my soulmate.

If you're a 20-something and people keep asking you when you're going to get married - I suggest you think for yourself - when DO you want to get married?  Or is the answer never?  It sure makes it easier to answer that question when it arises.  Know where you stand on important issues and know how to voice your feelings - this will get you far in life and perhaps in love.

Love,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
20sb