Monday, March 2, 2009

The Art of Having it All.


I decided about a month ago that I wanted to have it all.  

I want success in every aspect of my life.  I don't just want to be great at my job I want to balance it all.  I want to be a great friend.  The thoughtful daughter.  A perfect sister.  A reader.  A writer.  The lifelong student (of various subjects). Financially saavy.  A fashionista.  Artist.  Critic.  Sports fanatic.

With the desire to have it all comes the question...how?  That question will continue to be that which I pursue through life and writing over the next...lifetime.  It's a journey that has only just begun and that will never truly end.

This month I have begun to tackle finances.  Eck, I know.  For being 23 and fresh out of college, I am ahead of the game.  However, the more I learn about finances the more I realize how little I know.  Confusing?  Yes.  Frustrating?  Incredibly.  I read Rich Dad, Poor Dad.  I learned I need to invest to get out of the "Rat Race" but then I didn't know anything about investing so I bought Suze Orman's "The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous, and Broke" to learn the lingo and the starting point for people like me.

As I near the end of that I realize I have a libraries worth of finance books left to read if I'm ever going to master my finances.  And so, next up:

Nice Girls Don't Get Rich.  

I love her dedication which reads: "This book is dedicated to every woman who works too hard, earns too little, and never seems to get ahead financially.  I hope that within these pages you find the courage and wisdom needed to take whatever action is required to lead a rich life - however you choose to define it"

In the spirit of having it all - I took today off work to do work.  While I've been slaving away at my desk at work, the work I have at home has been piling up.  So today I left my work in my Outlook and piled on my desk to face that which was piling up here at home.  So with taxes filed, clean bedsheets, 4 less episodes of Keeping up with the Kardashians on my Tivo, a much needed manicure, and a few less phone calls to friends on the ever-growing list - I'm winding down yet another Monday.

Just another manic Monday.

B


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
20sb